International Women's Day

Apparently it's international women's Day today..

I've been thinking about the rise of feminism and at times feeling as if women are helpless and in need to forcefully (sometimes with violence) take what's ours before it's taken away from us. That is probably not a very good summary of what feminism is but it feels that way to me. For a long time, even now, I still can't relate or agree with what feminist movement is trying to fight for. 

I've been thinking of why this is the case and I've just realised recently that it's because I've been surrounded by hard working, high achieving, respectable women who, in their gentleness and humility had gained the status that they had.

 My mum for one, who had worked her way up and became a director of a paint company in Indonesia, gained a PhD degree in a different country with English as her second language, and raised 4 kids while she's at it and taught my dad how to start a paint business when we were younger so he could support the family. 

My mother in law, the lady who started Mops Australia and had grown it to where it is now while looking after 2 kids, became a principal at a Christian school in Adelaide and is now "retired" while working part time at another school.  

And so many other strong, brave, amazing women that I've met who had worked hard, shown humility and respect to others and in return gained the recognition that they deserve. Some of them might not be formally recognised but I know that they had made a huge impact in the lives of the people that they met. 

These are the women that God had allowed me to be surrounded with and I am so thankful for their godly examples and what they had shown me. 

We women don't have to forcefully take what's ours. We have an amazing strength that we can tap into in God, who can use us to bring real changes without violence or harsh language or force. We don't have to compare or compete. We can be fair and kind and self giving and know that we will one day see the fruit of our labours. 

So here's my prayers for us women today. May God use is in our unique role as a mother, a wife, a friend, a daughter, an office worker, (insert your job here) to bring a positive change wherever He had placed us with the unique gift that He had given us as women. I am thankful that He made us the way we are, different from men but just a wonderfully and beautifully made in His sight.

Comments

Popular Posts