on Christian suffering

It's interesting to see the response of the shooting that happened in America on Monday. Many Christians mourned and we're angered by the fact that this was done with total malicious intent and out of bigotry. There were a lot of mourning and high emotions felt by fellow Christians for what happened. 

Perhaps that's an appropriate response , but I wonder where are the Christians when shooting happened in secular schools. Why aren't we also mourning the death of fellow human beings who are not Christians? Shouldn't we mourn them even more knowing that they have no hope?

I feel that as soon as bad things happened to a Christian in the media, other Christians are quick to be angry and to point out the injustice and the "rights taken because we're Christians". 

As someone with hope not in this world, I feel uncomfortable with that. We're constantly told in the bible that in this world there will be trouble. In this world we will be persecuted. It's as if with our mouths we say these things but in practice, we don't want it, we resent it, we want comfort. 

Our response to the suffering of our fellow brothers and sisters should be one that will be a fragrant offering to God and a witness to those who are watching. Is it?

I wonder. I found this article helpful in reminding us of who we are and the promise that we have in Christ. 

"We talk so much about faith that we can underestimate just how other-worldly it truly is to be a Christian. “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen” (Hebrews 11:1). That’s the closest thing to a definition of faith we get in the Bible, and it’s a definition we’d prefer not to rely on. I like to be assured of things I have, not things I hope for. I like to be convinced of things I see, not things I don’t see."


Comments

Popular Posts