On The “Harshness” of God

My mum told me that she heard one Muslim person said: how can Christianity claimed that they’re a peaceful religion. Just look at the God of the Old Testament and the genocide that happened there done by the Israelites condoned by God. 

So, I’m currently reading Exodus and just looking at some of these chapters where God is being “evil” and wiping out animals and children. I’m amazed at this answer He gives as a reason to justify this:
““Then the Lord said to Moses, “Get up early in the morning and stand before Pharaoh. Tell him, ‘This is what the Lord, the God of the Hebrews, says: Let my people go, so they can worship me. If you don’t, I will send more plagues on you and your officials and your people. Then you will know that there is no one like me in all the earth. By now I could have lifted my hand and struck you and your people with a plague to wipe you off the face of the earth.”
Exodus 9:13-15 NLT


I’m in AWE of our God. The God of the Old Testament and the New Testament. Humans will try to justify their murders based on some “religious reasons” but God had every reason. He did it because He is God! He wants people to repent and worshipped Him. He wants those who are spared to not be proud but humble themselves and worshipped Him. If He wants to, He could wipe out the whole world like in the time of Noah, but He didn’t. He created this world for a reason: for creation to be in relationship with Him and to enjoy and worship Him forever. 

So my answer to that man would be: yes, God did some pretty harsh stuff, but He didn’t do it willy nilly for no reason like the other gods at that time would from other cultures. He did it to show a stubborn and evil people who is boss. That He is the judge and He is able to bring about His own justice. He, however, is patient. He waits until the perfect time so people can see and repent and worship Him. 

So the question is: will you worship Him?

Comments

Popular Posts